Sunday, October 17, 2010

My Top 10 Favorite Movies (List)

Just got home from seeing Jackass 3D, so I thought it'd be a good time to respond to Mikey the Pikey's challenge:
…my favorite movies…ever. The ones I don’t think I’d ever like to be without. The “deserted island” list, if you will. These are the movies that, should I encounter them randomly on television, I’ll stop whatever I’m doing and watch them, regardless of where they are in the film.
This is kindof an impossible task, because there are so many films/movies that speak to me in one way or another. So I'm making the list of those movies that match the second half of the above mentioned criteria, something that, if I randomly come across it, I'll stop and watch.
After compiling the list, I realized that there aren't a lot of heavy dramas in there. It's not because I don't like them, because I do, and I watch them a lot, often multiple times. But I guess I was going for the criteria set up by Mikey the Pikey. So, with that written, here is the list:
5th
The Fifth Element - (1997; dir. Luc Besson; Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Ian Holm, Milla Jovovich, Chris Tucker; composer - Eric Serra)
I know the list is in no particular order, but this movie was the first in my mind, primarily because it's my most favorite movie. I first saw this the year it came out, and I must say that, for me, it hasn't lost any of its lustre. There are funny things, and serious things. An always beautiful Milla, and one of my favorite actors Gary Oldman. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's space based science fiction (after all, I was a space studies major (for about six weeks)).
lotr
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - (2001; dir. Peter Jackson; Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortenson, Ian McKellan, Ian Holm, many other huge names!; composer - Howard Shore)
Of course, I absolutely love the entire trilogy, but if there's one that I watch more than the others, it would be this one. I think it's because there's nothing better than the beginning of a journey, epic or otherwise!
grinch
How The Grinch Stole Christmas - (2000; dir. Ron Howard; Jim Carrey, Jeffery Tambor; composer - James Horner)
This one gets some heavy rotation around the end of year holidays. I don't know why, but its pretty damn funny, and fun to watch. Favorite line that I quote often, "am I eating because I'm bored?" Even now I'm chuckling.
muppet
Muppet Treasure Island - (1996; dir. Brian Henson; Tim Curry, Billy Connolly; composer - Hans Zimmer)
This one I probably never would have watched because when I first saw it, I was a junior in high school and thought I was maybe a little too cool for the muppets. After my friend convinced me otherwise, I learned that I was in fact not too cool for the muppets, but perhaps not cool enough. Thank you Tommy C.!
kf-panda
Kung Fu Panda - (2008; dirs. Mark Osborne, John Stevenson; Jack Black, Ian McShane, Dustin Hoffman; composers - Hans Zimmer, John Powell)
I'm a sucker for a lot of the recent animated films beginning with Shrek and running through How To Train Your Dragon. Kung Fu Panda is just one of the ones that I like to have playing when I'm doing anything!
t-nights
Talladega Nights - (2006; dir. Adam McKay; Will Ferrell, Gary Cole, John C. Reilly, Jane Lynch; composer - Alex Wurman)
A lot of people (and critics) panned on this movie, but that wouldn't be the first time that I enjoyed something that others don't.  I think people dislike the character that Will Ferrell plays (in most of his films). As for me... after a couple viewings, the performances grow on me. I actually don't know if I could live without Talladega Nights anymore.
o-brother
O, Brother Where Art Thou? - (2000; dirs. The Coens; George Clooney, John Turturo, Tim Blake Nelson; Music - T Bone Burnett)
I love everything about this period piece. The music, the characters, the acting, the setting, and the story (Homer's Odyssey). I could watch it anytime. Anytime at all.
fatboy
Run Fatboy Run - (2007; dir. David Schwimmer; Simon Pegg, Yank My Area (sorry, Hank Azaria), Dylan Moran; composer - Alex Wurman)
This charming movie is fun to watch and makes me feel good too. And ever since Shaun of the Dead, I've been a fan of Pegg's. This is no exception. I usually look forward to anything that Pegg is a part of.
shaun
Shaun of the Dead - (2004; dir. Edgar Wright; Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kate Ashfield)
Even though this film had original music, the soundtrack contains a lot of existing music. And actually, it is one of my favorite soundtracks to listen to completely from start to finish due to its arrangement. So, aside from the soundtrack, the film kicks ass! Zombie killing is great fun, especially when done with and Edgar Wright slant.
trek
Star Trek - (2009; dir. J.J. Abrams; Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Leonard Nimoy, Eric Bana; composer - Michael Giacchino)
Look, another Pegg film. But seriously, I love this film. When it came out, I wasn't keen on going to see it because it just didn't look like it would be impressive. Thankfully, my buddy/partner Ben L. dragged me to see it. That was a good thing, because its awesome! The cinematography is spectacular, and I love the character performances. I also love Giacchino's score... but you probably already knew
that.
That's 10 films... but I can't stop there, so here are some alternates:
army
Army of Darkness - (1992; dir. Sam Raimi; Bruce Campbell; composer - Joseph LoDuca)
I watched this movie at least once a week my freshman year of college. I used many of the soundbites for ringtones. It has a cue from Danny Elfman. I don't know if I need to say more than that.
crank
Crank: High Voltage - (2009; dirs. Mark Neveldine, Brian Taylor; Jason Statham, Amy Smart, Dwight Yoakam; composer - Mike Patton)
High octane. Great unintentional video game movie. Awesome hodgepodge score by Mike Patton of Faith No More fame. Statham rocks my face.
shawshank
Shawshank Redemption - (1994; dir. Frank Darbont; Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman; composer - Thomas Newman)
When I first learned that this story was written by Stehpen King, my appreciation for him grew by leaps and bounds. When I learned that Frank Darbont would be directing AMC's The Walking Dead (starts on Oct. 31st) it gave me the feeling that I wouldn't be disappointed... that and there'll be zombies (Jesus... why do I like zombies so much?). Great movie. I love when other things reference it. For instance, Family Guy. When they performed a cue from the original score, it helped remind me of another reason why I love this film!
sw1
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999; dir. George Lucas; Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Jake Lloyd; composer - John Williams)
Chastise me if you must, but this is my favorite Star Wars film... based purely on its associative properties. It may not be the best one, but it is the one that is related to some of my fondest memories. The score from this film, was the only music in my car that summer for so many road trips that took place. I will never regret the decision to make this my favorite, not until programmed nanites rearrange my brain's synapses.
bourne
The Bourne Supremacy - (2004; dir. Paul Greengrass; Matt Damon, Brian Cox, Julia Stiles; composer - John Powell)
I really love all of the Bourne films, but this one will forever hold a place in my heart because of its score. This was the score I listened to when I made the decision to actually go back to school to pursue my music composition education with the intent to compose for media. So thank you Mike S. for that!!
Well, there you have it. A list of films off the top of my brain that I would enjoy life just a little less without. There are so many that deserve to be on the list... but I honestly don't want to keep looking up some of the information.
What can I say... I'm lazy.

No comments: